Employee Theft is More Than Pens and Paper Clips…
Employee Theft is a growing problem in today’s business world. Employee theft can take many forms, from stealing office supplies or merchandise to stealing time by improperly reporting sick leave and vacation, to stealing intellectual property and confidential information. When employee theft is discovered, the employer/owner feels violated and often reacts out of emotion. Remembering that this is a business problem and addressing it as such will aid in quick resolution and prevention.
Solved It Investigations is able to assist by:
- Conducting an impartial investigation.
- Reviewing policies and procedures.
- Conducting background checks on employees.
- Working with a forensic accountant or computer examiner.
- Interview employees.
- Interview the suspected employee in a professional manner.
- Complete an unbiased report summarizing the investigation.
- Work with law enforcement as needed.
- Provide unimpeachable court testimony.
- A private detective from Solved It Investigations can conduct valuable information gathering for the public or private sector, and within any industry
- Our private investigators are licensed, certified, and experienced surveillance and investigations experts.
- Detailed reports, records, and documents from a private detective can alleviate concerns or confirm doubts and suspicions
- Our security experts can help you interpret information collected by a Solved It Investigations undercover agent or private investigator.
THE THEFT TRIANGLE – WHY PEOPLE STEAL
From within the criminal point of view and mindset, there are 3 primary factors that strongly influence the likelihood of theft.
What will the criminal gain? How valuable is the asset?
The unique circumstances present a chance to remove the asset.
What is the probability of being caught? If caught, what will happen? How much punishment or personal harm will be done? How significant will the impact be on others involved? Will it even matter?
SOME EXAMPLES OF THEFT IN THE WORKPLACE
- Cleaning persons remove company property along with trash.
- Stockpersons remove stock in their pockets while placing fresh stock on the shelves.
- Workers that regularly carry supplies and equipment from one place to another carry goods and materials to their cars.
- Employees intentionally damage merchandise, and then mark it out-of-stock, taking it home with them after-hours.
- Employees in large warehouses or distribution centers may organize with other employees and even outsiders to form a full-scale crime ring.
- Shoplifting and then giving away merchandise to friends or family, and then later returning them for money, bypassing proper return paperwork and protocol.
- Restaurant workers and grocery store employees grazing on food or flat out stealing large quantities of expensive products, i.e. steaks or alcohol.
HOW CAN PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS HELP WHEN WORKPLACE THEFT IS OCCURRING?
We recommend ‘going with your gut’. As the business owner, manager or supervisor, you know your employees and the workplace and often get a ‘feeling’ that something is not right. If you suspect workplace theft is occurring, you will need to perform due diligence to confirm your suspicions.
If, after consulting with an investigation expert, you believe that internal theft is occurring then a formal investigation strategy must be followed.
If you have any questions feel free to email Private Investigator at Chris@SolvedItPI.com