Romance scams happen when one or more individuals using a fraudulent online identity to gain a victim’s affection and trust. The scammer then uses the illusion of a romantic or close relationship to manipulate and/or steal from the victim. The scam artist typically meets their victims on dating websites, will use other individuals photographs, and will use photoshop to carry out their scam. It is very common for the scam artist to go along with the scam that lasts 6, 12, 24 months of daily communication!
The criminals who carry out romance scams are experts at what they do and will seem genuine, caring, and believable. Con artists are present on every dating website and social media sites.
The online dating scammer’s intention is to establish a relationship as quickly as possible, endear himself to the victim, and gain trust. Scammers may propose marriage and make plans to meet in person, but that will never happen. Eventually, they will ask for money giving an excuse to why they need the immediate funds. They may ask for phones, plane tickets, laptops, or large sums of money wired to them.
These scam artists often say they are in the building and construction industry and are engaged in projects outside the U.S. That makes it easier to avoid meeting in person—and more plausible when they ask for money for a medical emergency or unexpected legal fee. They will gain creditability to their victims by elaborate fake business and banking websites.
If someone you meet online and have NEVER met in person is asking for gifts or money, they are most likely using your account to carry out other theft and fraud schemes.
Tips for Avoiding Romance Scams
- Be mindful what you share and make public online or to someone you believe to be dating online. Scammers can use details shared on social media and dating sites to better understand and target you.
- Research the person’s photo and profile using online searches to see if the image, name, or details have been used elsewhere.
- Go slowly and ask lots of questions. If something does not seem right, trust your gut! If close friends and family are concerned about your relationsip, listen to them!
- If you’re intending to send someone money you met online, hire a private investigator to conduct a background check. NEVER SEND SOMEONE MONEY YOU MET ONLINE! NEVER NEVER NEVER
- Beware if the scammer seems too perfect or quickly asks you to leave a dating service or social media site to communicate directly. Typical scammers will use a Google Voice, WhatsApp, and will refuses to Facetime / Skype. When they do Facetime, the scammers video will be not clear and they will blame the connection. You will be able to hear their voice, but not see a perfect video.
- Beware if the individual attempts to isolate you from friends and family or requests inappropriate photos or financial information that could later be used to extort you.
- Beware if the individual promises to meet in person but then always comes up with an excuse why he or she can’t. If you haven’t met the person after a few months, for whatever reason, you have good reason to be suspicious.
- Never send money to anyone you have only communicated with online or by phone.
- If you’re trying to send the individual money, and your bank is telling you: NO! Listen to your bank! You will never see this money again!
Online Romance Background Check. Hire a private investigator to investigate
It’s Better to Play It Safe While Navigating the Modern Dating Landscape.
In a short period of time, a private investigator can conduct a confidential background verification gaining comprehensive information including an individual’s address history, alias history, and criminal record.
At first glance, conducting a pre-matrimonial background search for the person who you are going to marry may seem a bit over the top, however, recent studies reveal the increasing occurrence of online anonymity abuse. We can also see a number of news stories on television and online related to matrimonial frauds.
It’s easy to create false credentials or hide information online. A private investigator can merge public records, online and offline data, giving you a panoramic view of the individual. These reports serve as valuable resources for many everyday occurrences. It’s easy for people online to tell lies about themselves.
Nonetheless, if you wish to establish if the individual concerned has a criminal past life, a criminal background record check would be needed. It can prevent a pile of hurt and save a lot of money later on.
The private investigator who conducts background verifications provides every kind of information like address verification, employment verification, education verification, social status, criminal record check, police verification etc.
It is easier to end a relationship before your lives and finances and families get entwined. One should always consider performing one of these checks before tying a knot or sending. funds to a stranger they have only met online.
Whatever the purpose, conducting a background check on someone you have met online has never been easier.
Once you hire a private investigator, then you can make the decision if you want to walk down the aisle with your long-distance love.